Fallout 3 (2008) on Windows 10 in 2021
I'm adding a log of things I'm working on (both professional and fun), as a way to both document experiences and remember what the hell I did. Otherwise, it's lost to the ages just like the very early web cam sessions I did with both of my sons, which were lost to a hard drive failure.
For the last 10 years or so, I had shifted my attention to family & work. I avoided large game titles. Now, it's time to play again.
Fallout 3 : Post Install from Steam in 2021
- GFWL Fix: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/22591
- Intel Fix: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/17209
Important File Paths
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\
- C:\Users\[USER NAME HERE]\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\
Problem 1: "Ordinal Not found" "Missing C:\Windows\System32\xlive.dll"
Fallout 3 (2008) closely coupled with Windows Live (Gaming for Windows), before Steam. The Fallout 3 installer is indeed bundled with GFWL, but poorly installed.
- Install [Path to Fallout 3 goty]\GFWLive both .msi files
Problem 2: Video crashing to desktop
- Nexus Mods: Intel HD graphics Bypass package
- Edit FalloutPrefs.ini to change the "iSize W" and "iSize H" values to match the monitor's resolution.